How Procrastination Is Stopping You From Progressing
Procrastination, everyone at some point will fall victim to it. It could be deciding to continue watching cat videos rather than tidy your house or waiting until after the wedding to start regularly saving again.
When dreams never become reality
Creating the dreams is often the fun bit, it can be quite addictive to sit there creating a whole dream world where you are the CEO of a major worldwide business and you spend your days sipping cocktails on your private yacht.
However, the path you’d need to take to become a CEO in the first place so that you stand any chance of actually owning a yacht isn’t fun, or easy. Quite often, making our dreams become reality is extremely hard work. It’s easier to talk yourself out of it before you’ve even started.
So, why is it so hard?
It’s not difficult to sit on Facebook all day and you can portray your life any way you wish. It’s easy to be perfect when you’re selective about what you show the world.
However, taking a night class is scary, especially if it’s been a long time since you were last in a classroom. Also, what if you have had to take a cut in income in order to be able to study? Failure would be embarrassing, especially if you have loads of well meaning people questioning your decision.
The truth is sometimes you have to take risks in order to get somewhere, yes you may fail but what if you succeed? If there is a chance of failure then surely there must be a chance of success!
How will I know what is achievable?
You can do anything but not everything may be worth the risk. These are a few questions you can ask yourself in order to assess the risk-
- Can I afford it? – this is probably the most crucial question, the last thing you want to do is bring financial hardship on yourself
- Have you done your research? – becoming a Police Officer may seem amazing but you have to assess if you will be able to realistically reach the entry requirements
- Do I have a plan? – In order to achieve something, you need to plan. There is no point deciding you want to start a business if you have no idea where to start and how to proceed
- Do you have a backup plan? – very few things go exactly to plan, it’s a good idea to have a few contingency plans in case things go off course/ wrong
- How much do I really want this? – sometimes all the apparent obstacles do not matter, sometimes all you need is determination to succeed
Is failure really a bad thing?
Failure can hurt and be disheartening but through failure you learn. Learning how to not only fail, but move on from your failures and learn from them is such a powerful skill to have.
Winning all the time is boring and sometimes failing shows you where you can improve.